Hopefully, we’ve managed to address your questions and queries here.
- DO I NEED TO BE THE PHOTOGRAPHER OF THE PHOTO IN ORDER TO SUBMIT IT?
- HOW MANY PHOTOS CAN I SUBMIT?
- I TOOK A DIGITAL PHOTO, BUT IT’S VERY LOW RESOLUTION. SHOULD I SEND THAT IN?
- WHAT IF THE PHOTO IS BLURRY. SHOULD I SEND IT IN?
- WHEN DO I FIND OUT IF I’VE WON THE GRAND PRIZE?
- DO I WIN ANYTHING IF MY SIGN APPEARS ON TACKYSOUVENIRS.COM (OR ELSEWHERE) OR IS THE HIGHEST RATED SIGN IN A CATEGORY?
- HOW DO I FIGURE OUT WHAT THE RESOLUTION AND FILE SIZE ARE?
- HOW DO I SCAN THE PHOTO IN THE CORRECT RESOLUTION?
- ARE THERE ANY GOOD PHOTO TIPS THAT MIGHT HELP ME?
- HAS ANYONE SENT IN MY SIGN PHOTO BEFORE?
- I HAVE A HIGH RESOLUTION PHOTO, BUT I’D RATHER PRINT IT OUT AND SEND IT BY SNAIL MAIL. CAN I DO THAT?
- WHERE ARE THE PHOTOS PUBLISHED?
DO I NEED TO BE THE PHOTOGRAPHER OF THE PHOTO IN ORDER TO SUBMIT IT?
HOW MANY PHOTOS CAN I SUBMIT?
Your favorite few would be ideal. If you have an absolutely amazing and enormous private collection of kitsch souvenir photos, let’s stick with your top 10 favorites. You’ll need to complete a new registration for each photo, but you’ll notice it will auto-complete most of it for you, so it should go quickly.
I TOOK A DIGITAL PHOTO, BUT IT’S VERY LOW RESOLUTION. SHOULD I SEND THAT IN?
WHAT IF THE PHOTO IS BLURRY. SHOULD I SEND IT IN?
WHEN DO I FIND OUT IF I’VE WON THE GRAND PRIZE?
DO I WIN ANYTHING IF MY SIGN APPEARS ON CRAPSOUVENIRS.COM (OR ELSEWHERE) OR IS THE HIGHEST RATED SIGN IN A CATEGORY?
HOW DO I FIGURE OUT WHAT THE RESOLUTION AND FILE SIZE ARE?
Easy to do. Without opening the imaging, “right click” on it and select “properties.” That will tell you the size. You want it to be at least 1MB (preferably 2MB or 3 MB), which may be written as 1000KB. If it’s not that size (and it was scanned from a print), you should rescan it at a higher resolution.
HOW DO I SCAN THE PHOTO IN THE CORRECT RESOLUTION?
Scanners and their accompanying software all work a bit differently. But on all versions, you should be able to set the resolution. Look for a button that says something like “image control” or “Dimensions” or “Resolution.” Then set the image resolution to “300 dpi” and make the width of the image ABOUT 5 inches. That should make the scanned image the right size. When you click save, make sure you save the image in JPG format, which you should be able to select from a list just below where you pick a name for the image.
ARE THERE ANY GOOD PHOTO TIPS THAT MIGHT HELP ME WIN?
- If you see a great souvenir, take a few photos from different angles. And feel free to send in a couple if you’re not sure which turned out best.
- Take at least one photo w/o the flash. Sometimes there’s a blinding reflection that can ruin a picture.
- Resist posing next to the souvenir. But if you have already, please send in your photo anyway.
- Make sure you’ve got the digital camera set on the highest resolution.
- If you’re scanning your photo, make sure you get the correct resolution and file size.
- If you own the souvenir and plan to photograph it at home, try to use a solid background (e.g. drape a sheet over an arm chair) and use 2 or 3 light sources to reduce shadows. Here’s another simple home-studio set up. Or, if you want to try a more professional set-up, try this.
HAS ANYONE SENT IN MY TACKY SOUVENIR BEFORE?
Possibly. It happens. Searching for it on the website may be a good starting point, but it’s no guarantee. If we like it, we will typically use the one we got first. However, if a better photo of the same sign arrives before we’ve published the one we received first, we reserve the right to choose the highest quality photo.